Really Bad Dandruff? What to Do About It.
Really Bad Dandruff
There are a lot of people who suffer from a really bad dandruff. They often turn away from society and refrain from interacting with other people because of the embarrassment that the dandruff brings. Dandruff can be indeed very embarrassing but there are treatments available, which could help you get rid of a really bad dandruff.
According to Dr. Francis Iacobellis at How to Treat Dandruff, the most effective shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff in the mild form is a tar based shampoo. Tar based shampoos are the most effective and anti inflammatory over-the-counter products that individuals can purchase to combat dandruff.
Other types of shampoos that are effective include zinc based, sulfur, selenium sulfide and salicylic acid. All of these have a place, but should be used for maintenance. In order to clear up the scalp:
- Use a tar based shampoo daily until the scalp is basically clear.
- After this use the tar based shampoo twice a week, but use some of the other anti seborrheics interspersed between them. This will attack the problem with a different chemical each day.
The question of tolerance sometimes arises when talking about the effects of dandruff shampoo, but that is a fear that has not been based in reality. You don’t develop a tolerance for the shampoos. And it’s good personal hygiene.
When you get to the seborrheic dermatitis, which is dandruff plus inflammation and significant itching, you must start with a topical cortisone based lotion. Shampoos can have cortisone in them which helps to get the process under control. Then segue back to the tar shampoos and the zinc based shampoos for maintenance.
Source: How to Treat Dandruff
Aside from the shampoos, there are other dandruff treatments that you can do. Some of them are natural ones and you can easily prepare them at home. Hair Care Guide provided some of the other treatments that you can use for a really bad dandruff. These include:
- If you think you may have a severe case of dandruff, it is advised that you set up an appointment with a dermatologist.
- Poor health may be the cause of your dandruff, so be sure to get enough sleep, eat nutritiously, and avoid stress inducing activities.
- Something in your diet may be causing you to have an allergic reaction and trigger dandruff to occur. Try limiting your diet and see if your dandruff gets any better. Some foods that commonly cause an allergic reaction causing dandruff include nuts, chocolate and shellfish.
- If you have to scratch your head, avoid using your fingernails to scratch (you’ll risk an infection if you do). Instead use the pads of your fingers.
- Wear a hat outside on days that are extremely cold, windy, and when you’re going to be out in the sun for a lengthy period.
- Use a humidifier to keep the air moist.
- Limit the use of hair coloring and hair styling products with alcohol which dries out hair.
- Make sure that you get an adequate amount of B6 in your diet, which will help prevent dandruff.
- Massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers in a circular motion to increase circulation.
Source: Hair Care Guide
If you are suffering from a really bad dandruff, you can take a look at the treatments mentioned above, and try them out. They might be the ones that could help you get rid of dandruff.