The condition known as acne rosacea presents itself as a persistent inflammation of the skin (and sometimes also the eyes).
The condition causes the skin to be very red, usually on the cheeks, nose and chin but can also be in the neck and on the chest. It normally appears in adults (people between 30-60 years of age) but it is known to have its origins in the early teenage years in people who are prone to blushing or flushing.
Acne Rosacea Causes
Although there are widespread differences in opinion about the causes of acne rosacea, most professionals agree that all forms of acne have their origin in our dietary habits and digestive system. A few of the common and agreed causes are as follows:
- When the body does not produce enough hydrochloric acid or gastric acid in the stomach causing food not to be digested properly.
- Anxiety, stress and worry lower the gastric acid output and slows down the digestive process which leads to a build-up of toxins.
- Allergies to certain foods such as refined foods as well as starches sugar and fatty foods, diary, gluten containing food and others. See diet section below.
- Fungal or yeast infections also known as candida albicans infections may aggravate the condition.
- Exposure to extreme heat or cold may also aggravate acne rosacea.
- Consumption of coffee, alcohol, hot drinks, tobacco as well as hot and spicy food.
- A skin mite known as Demodex folliculorum can also cause acne by feeding on the skin’s sebum pore oil, reducing the quality of the sebum and causing hair follicle irritation, swelling and redness.
Acne Rosacea Diagnosis, Signs and Symptoms
Acne rosacea usually affects the blush areas of the face such as the nose, cheeks, chin and central area of the forehead but can also appear in the neck and chest areas. The most common signs and symptoms of acne rosacea are as follows:
- Discoloured or dispersed red spots on the facial area such as the nose, cheeks and chin as well as the neck and chest caused by spider veins leading off from the bigger facial veins.
- Oily appearance of the facial skin with erupted acne.
- Strange enough many people suffering from acne rosacea also suffer from regular migraine headaches.
Acne Rosacea Remedies, Treatment and Cure
Helpful Lifestyle Suggestions
- Make sure you do not expose your face and neck to extreme hot and cold temperatures or to directly to the sun.
- It is good to exercise at least 3 times a week which will to improve blood flow and reduce your stress anxiety and worry
Acne Rosacea Diet (What to eat and what not)
Foods to Avoid
- Coffee, alcohol, hot drinks, tobacco as well as hot and spicy food.
- Processed foods.
- Reduce the intake of foods containing saturated fat.
- Reduce salt intake.
- It is recommended that you follow a diet high fibre and unrefined and wholefood
- Food allergies/sensitivities that may aggravate or cause acne rosacea could include chicken, eggs, dairy, wheat, citrus and nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, capsicum, tobacco and chillies). You need to consult with a naturopath to help you discover your specific sensitivities/allergies.
- You should try to get your dietary fibre from fruit and vegetables.
- Always eat lean meats and fish for protein rather than processed meats.
- Use herbal salt such as Celtic or sea salt rather than iodised salt.
- Always drink 8-9 glasses of fresh, pure water daily.
Acne Rosacea Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs
Facial Creams Containing Vitamin A (Retinol), C and Bioflavonoid
In general the treatment of acne rosacea with creams, salves or ointments does not serve any purpose because they usually only stem the action of the sebaceous glands temporarily.
However it is a well-known fact that Vitamin A (Retinol), Vitamin C and Bioflavonoid can help to repair capillaries. Therefore creams containing these substances should be used. Make sure you find a water-based cream with at least 5% of Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids and use it as directed.
Acidophilus and Bifidus
These are the friendly or good bacteria found in yoghurt and help to keep the digestive system healthy. It is a good idea to eat lots of plain yogurt daily (you can add your own fresh fruit). Make sure that the yogurt contains acidophilus and/or bifidus.
If you have been put on a course of antibiotics as part of an acne rosacea treatment regime then it becomes critical that you consume at least 1 billion of the Acidophilus and Bifidus species daily. The easiest way to do that is to take it in capsule form daily on an empty stomach. You need to do this to restore/repopulate your digestive system with these healthy and friendly bacteria which will have been killed by the antibiotics.
Vitamin B Complex
It has been shown that the lack of Vitamin B2 in the body may cause acne rosacea. Therefore it is important to take 50mg – 100 mg of B2 daily but it is very important to know that when you take any specific B vitamin you should also take a vitamin B complex with it to avoid B vitamin imbalance. Any regular vitamin B complex product containing all the B vitamins will be good.
The Importance of Hydrochloric Acid (HCL) Balance In The Stomach
The shortage of stomach acid is a very important and critical contributing factor to the acne rosacea condition. Hydrochloric Acidassists with protein digestion in the stomach and it helps to protect against toxins, prevents bacterial and fungal overgrowth, encourages the flow of bile and pancreatic enzymes and also helps with the absorption of a number of very important vitamins and minerals. You should take 100mg-200mg 3 times daily with meals of Betaine Hydrochloric acid.
Quercetin is a well-known Bioflavonoid which is famous for strengthening of the blood vessels which will in turn help to reduce the red appearance of dilated veins and capillaries. Take 400mg of Quercetin 3 times daily or 1000mg of mixed Bioflavonoids daily.
Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe Vera juice will help to rebalance the pH level in the skin, protecting against blemishes and also moisturising the skin. Drink 100ml daily and also gently wipe onto skin as a toner before moisturising.
Cloves and Wormwood are parasite killing herbs that will help to kill the Demodex folliculorum mite it is recommended that you take two 3-week courses of Cloves (1800mg) combined with Wormwood (2000mg).
Makeup For Rosacea Sufferers
Makeup For Rosacea Sufferers Women who experience having rosacea are always looking for makeup for rosacea sufferers. This will help in hiding the marks that rosacea is notorious for. According to About-Rosacea.com, one of the more common questions that rosacea sufferers usually have involves finding cosmetics which will not further irritate… Read more...
Treating Rosacea Naturally. Some Good Options
Treating Rosacea Naturally Treating rosacea naturally is one of the most sought after methods by those who suffer from the condition. It is considered as safe, effective and does not result to a lot of side effects. Natural treatment is also less expensive compared to other types of treatments. If you have been looking for ways of treating rosacea naturally,… Read more...
Rosacea Treatment – Over The Counter Remedies
Rosacea Treatment Have you ever tried over the counter remedies as a part of your rosacea treatment? Many people have already tried these over the counter remedies but very few considered them as permanent a cure. In fact, these treatments could only do so much in alleviating symptoms but not cure rosacea hundred percent. It has already been established… Read more...
Rosacea Treatments – You Have Options
Rosacea Treatments If you have been trying to find the right rosacea treatments, then you have to accept the fact that a good treatment will only ease the symptoms and not cure the condition. You see, there are no real and perfect rosacea treatments that can cure the cndition. All you can do is to treat the symptoms which include skin eruptions, inflammation… Read more...
Is There An Acne Rosacea Cure?
Acne Rosacea Cure If you are wondering whether there is a permanent acne rosacea cure or not, then the answer to this is that there is none. Reality is that there’s nothing that you can do to avoid rosacea from ever starting. But, this is not a reason for you to despair because various remedies can definitely alleviate the signs and symptoms of… Read more...
The Right Acne Rosacea Cure
Find the Right Acne Rosacea Cure Now Finding the right acne rosacea cure can be an exhaustive task especially for those who have been suffering from it for a long time already. Although sometimes the condition could lead you to a depressed state, there is still a reason for you to look forward to better rosacea-free days. There are now many types of… Read more...