Boils are infections that are found on the skin. They are painful abscesses that result whenever there are blockages of the hair follicles. These are often found on the thighs, neck, arms, and buttocks. These boils can spread and can become a collected mass, which is called a carbuncle.
What Causes Boils?
- Bacteria. The Staphylococcus Aureus skin bacteria cause boils.
- Low immunity. Boils could also be a symptom of having low immunity against infections.
- Poor nutrition. Having a diet that is high in sugar, junk foods, and low in fruits and vegetables could lead to boils.
- Break in the skin that becomes infected with bacteria can develop into boils.
- Splinters or foreign bodies that get lodged in the skin could also cause boils.
- Poor hygiene. Not maintaining good hygiene could lead infectious boils to spread faster.
- Plugged sweat glands. This usually happens in cases of acne, where these sweat glands become infected with bacteria.
Diagnosis, Signs and Symptoms of Boils
Boils would often start with the formation of a red and tender area on the skin. After some time, the same area becomes harder and firmer. After which, the center portion of the boil looks white since it is now filled with white blood cells that fight the infection. When these white blood cells, and protein and bacteria mix, it now becomes pus. Eventually, this pus forms like a head but with a hardened core.
Remedies, Treatment and Cure forBoils
Some Lifestyle Hints for Treating Boils
- When boils spread, or when they are not reduced within 3 days, it is always ideal to consult a doctor. Other cases where it becomes imperative to consult a doctor is when the area starts to become tender and very painful. When fever starts to manifest, seeing a doctor is also a must.
- Make sure that you do not neglect your hygiene. A good hygiene is very important so as to keep the boils from spreading. You must wash and dry your hands always and thoroughly.
- Apply iodine, preferably Lugol’s iodine. Swab the affected area with cotton soaked in iodine. Take 4 drops of Lugol’s iodine every day. Do this for 7 days. If you cannot find Lugol’s iodine, you can use BP tincture iodine and apply it topically. Do not consume the BP tincture since it was made for topical application only.
- Apply tea tree oil on top of the iodine. This could help in eradicating the infection.
Tips for Better Nutrition
- Raw or steamed green leafy vegetables can greatly help keep the body strong in fighting the infection. Celery, carrots, broccoli, and fresh fruits are also very good foods to include in the diet.
- Minimize sugar consumption.
- Reduce intake of refined carbohydrates.
- As much as possible, avoid coffee, as well as alcohol, since they could worsen boils.
- Make sure that you drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
- Take 5000iu of Vitamin A, 1.5g of Vitamin C, and 45mg of Zinc daily. These could help in increasing the ability of the body to resist infections. It also aids in healing wounds.
- Take one to two capsules of acidophilus bifidus. These are needed for a healthier digestive system, especially after an antibiotic therapy.
Herbs that Help
If you have already begun treating boils with antibiotics, and it seems that the treatment is not very effective, you may combine the following herbs with your treatment if the bacteria appear resistant.
- To help in eradicating skin infections: 270mg of Olive Leaf Extract taken 6 times daily, 1500mg of Goldenseal daily, 30 drops of Myrrh tincture daily, and 1200mg to 6g of Echinacea taken daily.
- To help in purifying the blood and get rid of the toxins present in the blood and in the tissues: 2g-4g of Red Clover flowers daily, 2g-4g of Cleavers daily, and 2g-6g of dried root of Burdock daily.
Boil Remedies This is one of those skin diseases that can affect both children and adults. If you happen to suffer from boils, finding the right boil remedies can definitely help you out. Read more...
Treatment Of Boils
Treatment Of Boils Treatment of boils can either be through the use of natural treatments or through synthetic medications. While there are individuals who prefer to simply purchase an over-the-counter treatment in the form of creams or ointments, there are those who would rather make use of natural forms of treatment. Read more...
Boils on Skin
Boils on Skin Boils on the skin can make people feel uncomfortable and at the same time feel ashamed. The unsightly appearance of boils would make people shy away from friends and acquaintances and in worse case scenarios would absent themselves from work. Boils are common skin disorders that a lot of people have to deal with. Knowing the causes… Read more...
Causes Of Boils
Causes Of Boils Have you ever suffered from those itchy reddish bumps that appear on the skin and kept on wondering about the causes of boils? If you have, then you are not alone. There are actually a lot of individuals who suffer from boils. So what causes these things to appear? Read more...
How To Treat Boils
How To Treat Boils When you know how to treat boils immediately when they appear, you will be able to prevent the boils from worsening. And, it will also help prevent any unsightly marks on the skin where the boils appeared. Read more...